A great skin care routine is an important part of one’s beauty regimen, but now and then breakouts happen. It can be annoying seeing all the women in magazines with clear, clean complexions all the time. Of course, we all know that they are photoshopped and wearing makeup in a way that puts our favorite brands to shame, but when you suffer from problem skin, covering up with makeup is the last thing that you should be doing! Going to bed with relatively beautiful skin and waking up with a zit the size of New York (well, not really, but it feels like it!) can be frustrating.
Rather than burying your face in the sand and blaming it all on the zit fairy who came to curse you overnight, you should look at the tips I’ve put together for you below so that you can look pore-fect after your next beauty rest!
Great Skin Care Tips
- Change Washcloths: If you’re using the same washcloth every day, you are likely transferring bacteria from one morning to another. Always have two washcloths in the bathroom. One for the morning, one for the evening. Change them daily or every other day. If that sounds like a bit much, you can use disposable cleansing wipes or use cotton pads with your favorite cleanser.
- Clean Bedding: Imagine spending the day at the gym, hot and sweaty and opening your pores to all kinds of dirt. Then imagine collapsing in bed after a quick shower. Any leftover dirt and sweat from your hair and face transfers to your pillowcase and you are sleeping in that every night. Yuck. Your pillowcase is a bacteria’s favorite playground, so change your bedding once a week at the minimum.
- Routine Matters: You likely have a cleanse, tone and moisturize routine every evening, and if you don’t then shame on you! Check out this list by exfoliate.com to know the best exfoliators to add to your routine. There are so many on the market it can be difficult to know which is best for your skin type, so do some research and don’t just buy any old one in the hopes that it’ll work for your skin. It’s important to perform this routine morning and night and exfoliate once, but no more than twice, a week.
Check out these simple skin care tips to prevent a surprise breakout in the morning! Click To Tweet
- Stay Away From Snacks: It’s hard, I know. But, sugar is not kind to your skin and all you have to do is eat a lot of sweets to understand that one! If your blood sugar spikes too high, it can cause inflammation and make conditions such as acne far worse than they are right now. Stay away from late night snacks too so you’re not interfering with your sugar levels overnight.
- De-stress: A big cause of skin breakouts is stress. That event you’ve been stressing about? You can bet if you’re dwelling on it you’ll be waking up with a giant pimple the day before! Meditate, do yoga, and enhance your calm. Any of these can help you decrease the oil production in your skin and avoid those breakouts in the morning.
There’s nothing worse than frantically trying to cover up blemishes and look your best for a big night out. You can cover it up with the best makeup but when you remove the makeup, it will still be there. So, make sure you’re aware of the things that affect your skin. The more aware you are, the better your skin care routine can be to prevent breakouts!
– Marsha 💋